Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Worst mom award

So after the whole debacle with Annalisa having a penny in her throat for an entire week without me knowing, I thought that was going to be my low "mom" point of the year....
A happy little boy...
Have you noticed anything different yet?
From this angle its a little more clear...
Still happy...even though he has a huge soft bump the size of my fist on his left side
The culprit- a bed that is not very high and a ground made of carpet.
 
So I left him on the bed for literally two seconds last week, he rolled off, and cried.  I checked him for signs of a concussion- dialated eyes, vomiting, and/or bruising.  He seemed to be fine, but I called the doctor just in case.  She told me to watch him closely, but that he should be fine.
 
Fast forward to Friday- I notice that there is a large soft bump on his head.  I realize that I have no idea how long it's been there (I'm so sorry to all you neglected third-children out there).  I set up a doctor's appointment for Monday morning, Lincoln gets his blood taken (five vials full- do babies even have that much blood?), and then get an ultrasound and xray.
 
Results? HIS SKULL HAS A TINY FRACTURE!  I freaked out a little, but the doctor assured me that everything looks good and that it will heal itself.  As he is talking, I start thinking of the phrase, "we dropped you on your head when you were little", and ask, "Is his brain okay?"  Again, the doctor says there is no damage at all to his brain and that his skull will heal on its own over the next few months.
 
Moral of the story?  Thank goodness for skulls.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Poor little guy. I am so glad that he is doing well and the damage is not permanent. One of my brothers dropped our youngest brother (5th child) on the concrete when he was a newborn and it has provided for lots of jokes at my youngest brothers expense.

cheryl said...

Don't feel bad Lisa, I'm pretty sure that has happened to every mom. Remember when I wasn't watching Ava at your parents house and she tumbled all the way down the stairs? I sure hope she didn't lose too many brain cells over that one.

Now that I think about it Eric and I are both the third child. That explains a lot!

Audrey Crisp said...

Poor baby. Dont worry! He's fine! Weston fell off our bed once and I felt so bad. It happens to the best! You're a great mom!!

Stephanie Marcum said...

You are a great Mom. He will heal fine and is loved. He has a safe and happy childhood with a few scrapes he can laugh about. Hope you are feeling better.