Wednesday, August 05, 2009

"Cool" quote

I've been reading this book called Presidents and Prophets that talks about the interaction between the prophets of my church and all the U.S. presidents. I came across this really interesting quote by President Calvin "Cool"idge:-)

"We do not need more material development, we need more spiritual development. We do not need more intellectual power, we need more moral power. We do not need more knowledge, we need more character. We do not need more government, we need more culture. We do not need more law, we need more religion."

I couldn't agree more...

3 comments:

Daniel Lattin said...

Sweet quote!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. - Willow

Anonymous said...

Sorry to comment twice on the same post.... I happen to be reading a book called Tending the Heart of Virtue by Vigen Guroian, and he discusses the issue to which you have referred in an educational context. He says in his introduction, "We want our children to be tolerant, and we sometimes seem to think that a too sure sense of right and wrong only produces fanatics. Perhaps we have become so resigned to flailing about in the culture's muddy waters of moral compromise and ethical obscurantism that it is hard for us to imagine other possibilities for our children." I would say that this summarizes the average American perspective on raising children. Praise the Lord that some people still feel a keen sense of obligation to raise their children with your quote in mind! (The rest of Guroian's book is about illuminating what he calls the "moral imagination", or instilling the ability to reason morally through classic literature, which, from my reading, includes the most important classic of all - the Bible.) - Willow