Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Danish Day Trip

So two weeks ago we decided to go on a little family day trip before Cory started school. We drove to beautiful Santa Barbara and played on the beach. Then we drove through the mountains to this little town called Solvang. It was a Danish settlement that has now become a major tourist spot. All the buildings were in true Danish style and I felt like I was back in Europe. We tried some new foods and walked around with the kids to see the windmills and charming little shops. Then Ethan played at the park with some girls he didn't even know (what a flirt:-)
It was so nice to just have a family day and to see an area that I have been wanting to see for awhile. And I guess it was good for me to feel Danish for a day (my mom's ancestors come from Denmark).
Cory walking down the street

Another view
In line for aebleskivers...mmm...so good with ice cream

5 comments:

Camille and Jake said...

Fun! I didn't even know there was a place like that in California! Glad you got to have a day out :)

*Aliese* said...

LOVE Solvang! I'm shocked you didn't drive the extra ten minutes to MJ's Neverland Ranch (it's a must-see when visiting Solvang).

Emily said...

Wow! I never would have thought to find a place like that in California. Super neat-o! Love all things Europe!

Sarah said...

So fun! Austin and I are totally going to copy you guys and head up there, looks like you guys had a blast!

alfburg03 said...

I love Solvang. Kent and I went a couple years ago on our way back from San Fran for our anniversary. It is such a quaint place. We found the best IceCream there, but I don't remember from where. Isn't it just like walking through a movie?