Yesterday, something interesting happened to me. I was checking facebook on my phone while "playing" with Annalisa and Lincoln. I saw this article on one of my friend's updates:
http://www.handsfreemama.com/2012/05/07/how-to-miss-a-childhood/
It was a reminder to me about how I should be interacting with my children every day and that looking at my phone is unnecessary most of the time. I mean, how important is facebook, my emails or pinterest in the whole scheme of things? I feel that there is a time and place for technology and that I need to be more proactive in setting standards for myself, not just my children. I think I got used to having my phone with me ALL THE TIME and answering every phone call because my job as apartment manager required it. I saw how crazy that made me and don't want to let it interfere with the goals I have for my little family. I put my phone down after reading the article and just played with my kids for over an hour, doing nothing else (which is hard for me, the quintessential multi-tasker). It was amazing how much Annalisa noticed the difference right away. She knew she had my undivided attention.
This past month, I have constantly had the thought in my mind that my kids will not be little for long and that I need to cherish every day with them. I find myself drawn to the parenting of 50 years ago that allowed for more simple play and less distraction. I want to create that simplicity for my family and if I want them to limit their media exposure, I need to be the first to set that example.
Lastly, today is Valentine's Day and as I look back on my relationship with Cory and the love we share, I am reminded of a song that my sister Julie wrote for us for our wedding. At this point in my life, I see the words a little differently as they apply to my parenting and enjoying my children, who grow up way too fast. The chorus says:
"Just hold on tight, this train's moving fast
Stay on track, so it will last.
Times may be bumpy, hardships arise
Jump on the train and go for a ride."
5 years ago

2 comments:
So true. They do grow up fast. I watched a little girl today while the family was a the hospital. She is three and she saw my phone somewhere and brought it to me. She was so proud that she gave me the phone. I said thanks and it was cute but put it down and went about my day. It was interesting to read that article about phones. The hard thing for me is Isaac thinks I am not very good at understanding how the game of legos works. I alway break the unwritten rules. :) So I just end up helping him.
I love this post. Now I'm going to get off the computer and go color with Brielle:)
Post a Comment